GAPA has several key principles:
- The development of actions based on evidence of effectiveness
- The application of advocacy actions aimed at multiple levels:
- political advocacy
- media advocacy
- professional mobilization
- community mobilization
- advocacy within organizations
- The involvement of a wide range of organizations with direct and indirect interests in the promotion of physical activity across all regions of the world
GAPA has five core strategies to help increase physical activity levels globally:
Disseminate physical activity information and evidence.
Advocate for the development, dissemination and implementation of national physical activity policies, action plans and guidelines.
Establish an agreed global physical activity and health charter.
Advocate for capacity building and the development of workforce training initiatives.
Advocate for strengthening regional networks and global collaboration.